Maria Sharapova thrashed by Angelique Kerber in Melbourne
![]() | ||
| Germany’s Angelique Kerber celebrates beating Maria Sharapova in straight sets in Melbourne. Photograph: Paul Crock/AFP |
Angelique Kerber beat Maria Sharapova 6-1, 6-3
Maria Sharapova was handed an Australian Open hiding by Angelique Kerber in the third-round battle of the former champions.
It was the most anticipated match
of the tournament so far but Kerber carried on the tremendous form she
has shown to start the season and romped to a 6-1 6-3 victory in just 64
minutes.
The German endured a nightmare
2017 after winning the Australian Open and US Open titles in 2016 and
climbing to world number one but is unbeaten so far this year after
winning the warm-up event in Sydney.
Given the wobbles endured by the
top seeds this week and the wide open nature of the draw, Kerber is fast
establishing herself as the title favourite.
The 30-year-old said: “I have so
many great memories from this court. I came out and I was trying to
enjoy every point. Maria’s a champion, she played so good the last few
weeks. I was really trying to play my game. I was really happy we have
2018 and not 2017.
“I learned a lot from the last 24
months. I had a great 2016 and last year was tougher but everyone who
knows me knows I never give up.”
Sharapova wanted to see how her
level compared to the top players and in the first set the answer was
not very well at all. Kerber was quicker, sharper and far more
consistent, allowing her opponent just three of 14 points on her first
serve.
When Kerber moved 2-0 ahead in the
second set, it seemed the match that had been billed as a potential
classic would turn into an embarrassing rout.
But, if all else fails her,
Sharapova will always have her competitive instinct and she dug in to
retrieve the break and give herself a foothold in the match.

Comments
Post a Comment